vSphere - Sluggish mouse on Windows 7 and 2008 Server

I had this issue after installing Windows 2008 R2 on VMWare ESX 4.0 (208111). Even though I installed VMWare tools, the mouse was still acting as if the driver wasn't installed - the mouse is jumpy and is not leaving the console after the "real" mouse is exiting the screen.

It seems that VMWare is aware of this issue and will solve it eventually.

Anyway, this is the quick fix:
  • install VMWare Tools in your machine, reboot;
  • VMWare tools has created the folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video;
  • go to Device Manager, to your video adapter and select "Update driver";
  • when asked for the files, browse to the folder above;
  • reboot;
  • problem fixed!
LE: after every VMWare tools update you need to redo these steps.

    Comments

    7 Responses to " vSphere - Sluggish mouse on Windows 7 and 2008 Server "

    trev said... March 16, 2010 at 1:51 AM

    nope, doesn't work for me
    fresh install of 2008r2 enterprise + vmware tools

    device manager wizard tells me im already using the most up to date driver.
    switching back to ps2 and then to vmware again won't solve it either. that worked for me at least with 2003 servers, that were staged from a template

    trev said... March 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM

    forget my last comment. did try to change the mouse driver, not the faulty standard-svga driver.

    that solved the case. thanks for your post, forgive me my not-reading :)

    Anonymous said... August 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

    I don't have VMware but I still get sluggish mouse on Vista Sp2 with Microsoft Mouse 3000, Wireless USB mouse. The solution I found here sluggish mouse works okay but it TAKES FOREVER because, well, my mouse is sluggish! Any faster solutions would be much appreciated!

    Anonymous said... November 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM

    This worked for me on 2008 and 2008 R2. Thank you.

    Anonymous said... November 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

    I bow for your wisdom :)

    Thank you so much - I've been fighting this problem for so long now and it really bothered me.

    Now it's gone, thanks to you.

    Morten Claré, Denmark.

    Fritske said... March 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

    Thx, it finally works for Win2k8 r2!

    DoIDeserveThis? said... May 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM

    It worked for me on my version 7 W2K8 machines. Thanks for the post!

    Post a Comment

    Follow by Email

    Sponsored Links

    Labels